The History of Shulman Company Recycling
Recognizing that metals, rags and paper had a potential “second life”, father and son, Isaac and Oscar Shulman founded the company in 1935, a business which is the “originator of recycling”. Equipment was limited during the Depression Era; trucks were loaded by hand, and with prudent buying of inventory enough was saved to purchase the first major processing equipment, a used shear (machine that cuts metal). During World War II, a baler (compacts scrap into bundles) was purchased along with a crane.
Having outgrown its facility in 1948, Shulman Company purchased a larger parcel of land with rail-road siding to meet the transportation needs. The first significant expansion of Shulman Company took place with this land purchase. Oscar Shulman presented a proposal to Chemung Canal Bank demonstrating local need for a large scrap processing facility to service the foundries, industrial plants and auto wrecking companies. His argument was persuasive; a line of credit was approved. As a result, in 1949, Shulman Company moved its operation to newly acquired land on which a new office was built, equipment installed, including a 60 foot scale and a baler, which made bundles of tin. Three years later, additional land across the street became available. A metal warehouse was built, additional scales were installed and forklifts purchased along with an electric paper baling press for making bundles of paper. Another crane was also purchased. Over the next several years, Shulman Company continued to purchase equipment necessary for the efficient processing of material in order to best serve the demands of its customers.
In 1970, the third generation joined the Shulman Company, Stephen Shulman. Early in his career at Shulman Company, Stephen was faced with many challenges. In 1972, the office and equipment suffered heavy losses from a major flood. However, the company continued to reinvest in its future, building its own maintenance garage, and the purchase of a hydraulic baler with conveyors to more efficiently handle paper. In 1977, Shulman Company was informed by the state of New York that a roadway was to be built through the middle of its land, necessitating for the re-location of Shulman Company. The focus was where to move, and should the company remain in Elmira?
The Shulman family felt a strong commitment to Elmira. Complicating the challenges of relocation, the paper facility was destroyed by fire. With new offices and warehouse under construction on the adjacent property, Shulman Company moved into a new facility in January 1979. Additional land was purchased for future growth. The mid-1980’s saw the demise of a large part of the local industrial community. Since that time, management has successfully sought new customers and markets for their processed materials. The poor economic climate has never been an excuse for doing less business; it has become an impetus to do more!
In the late 1980’s, Shulman Company revamped its fleet to accommodate a roll-off container system. The system streamlined the efficiency of handling customer’s scrap. In the early 1990’s, the company purchased CAT235 excavator and a vibra-ram shear. This machine virtually eliminated the use of cutting torches, a safer means of processing.
The fourth generation, Zach Shulman, joined Shulman Company in 1999. Zach maximized efficiency while sensitive to the needs of customers and employees.
Today, David Leonardo, continues to position Shulman Co., Inc. for the future of recycling. There is a cooperative effort among all associated with Shulman Company to be mindful of safety as well as the environment.
Shulman Company Founded
Expanded Location w/Railroad Access
Major Flood Losses Incurred
New Facility Relocation